Gunnela Westlander’s professional interests reflect her background in applied social psychology. Since the late 1960s, she has devoted herself to research in the work sciences, focusing principally on the social-psychological perspectives of work designs, production techniques, computer use and organizational changes. She has held faculty positions at Stockholm University since 1974 and became associate professor of the Department of Psychology in 1977. From 1984 to 1995 she was professor and director of the Division of Social and Organizational Psychology at Sweden’s National Institute of Occupational Health. Then, in 1996, she became professor emerita.
Professor Westlander has had extensive experience as a researcher, teacher, educator, adviser, and author in the field of the social psychology of working life. From the 1970s onward she provides instruction, guidance and supervision, at the Department of Management and Engineering, Linköping University, the Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm and the University of Stockholm. She has held a number of expert assignments and served as both member and chairwoman for granting committees in Sweden and Norway.
- Applied Social Psychology
- Attitudes and Beliefs
- Communication, Language
- Gender Psychology
- Group Processes
- Health Psychology
- Interpersonal Processes
- Motivation, Goal Setting
- Organizational Behavior
- Research Methods, Assessment
- Social Cognition
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Westlander, G. (2010). När mentorskap och coaching sätter djupa spår. Mellanchefer blickar bakåt. Stockholm: GMLförlag. ISBN 978-91-86215- 42-2 (title in English: When mentoring and coaching leave lasting impressions)
- Westlander, G. (1999). People at work: Investigating social-psychological contexts. Lund, Sweden: Studentlitteratur.
- Fingerhut, M., Van Dijk, F., Dybing, E., Hagmar, L., Hemminki, K., Lambert, J., Schneider, T., Uusitalo, H., & Westlander, G. (2004). Toward a better working life. International Evaluation of the Finnish Institute of Occupational Health (1997-2003). Reports 2004:11. Ministry of Social Affairs and Health, Helsinki.
- Westlander, G., & Stellman, J. (Eds). (1988). Government policy and women's health care: The Swedish alternative. New York: Haworth Press.
- Westlander, G., Johansson, A., Shahnavaz, H., & Viitasara, E. (1995). Evaluation of an ergonomics intervention programme in VDT workplaces. Applied Ergonomics, 26(2), 83-92.
- Westlander, G. (2009). Book review. [Review of the books Mentoring at work: Research, theory and practice, by B. R. Ragins & K. Kram, and Coaching and mentoring: Theory and practice, by B. Garvey, et al.]. International Journal of Evidence Based Coaching and Mentoring, 7(2), 82-96.
- Westlander, G. (1989). Organizational change and health at work. International Journal of Health Services, 19(2), 335-350. Baywood Publishing Company.
- Westlander, G. (1995). Means, goals, and outcomes of a comprehensive occupational health program for telephone operators. International Journal of Health Services, 25(2), 313-332.
- Westlander, G., & Pingel, B. (1997). The effectiveness of a "Break Experiment" from a long-term perspective: A retrospective study of female participants' and management's conceptions of a training program for skills development in a manufacturing industry. International Journal of Occupational Safety and Ergonomics, 3(1-2), 58-76.
- Westlander, G. (2010). When mentoring and coaching leave lasting impressions: Middle managers look back. The International Journal of Mentoring and Coaching, 8(1), 24-49.
- Westlander, G. (2006). Researcher roles in Action Research. In K. Aagaard Nielsen & L. Svensson (Eds.), Action and Interactive Research – Beyond Practice and Theory. Maastricht: Shaker Publishing. ISBN 90-423-0289-5
- Garvey, B., & Westlander, G. (2012). Training mentors - Behaviours which bring positive outcomes in mentoring. In: Passmore, J., Peterson, D., & T. Freire, (Eds.) The Wiley-Blackwell Handbook of the Psychology of Coaching and Mentoring. London: Wiley – Blackwell.
- Westlander, G. (1997). Psychosocial factors and organizational management. In ILO Encyclopedia of Occupational Health and Safety (4th ed., Vol. 2, part 5, pp. 35.1-35.10). Geneva: International Labor Office.
- Westlander, G. (2002). Book review. [Review of the book The Case for Pragmatic Psychology, by Daniel B. Fishman]. European Journal of Work & Organizational Psychology, 11(4), 473-475.
- Westlander, G. (2006). Confidence in self-report questionnaires results: An issue for the intervention researcher. In W. Karwowski (Ed.), International Encyclopedia of Ergonomics and Human Factors (2nd ed., pp. 3058-3062). Boca Raton: CRC Press.
- Westlander, G. (2007). Psychometric concerns in the assessment of intervention effects. Research Report no. 868, Department of Psychology, Stockholm University.
- Advanced Methodology in the Research of Change Processes
- Health Promoting Interventions in Working Life
- Human Aspects of Organizational Change Processes
- Organization Management and Work Psychology
- Organization Psychology
- Organization Theory and Change Processes
- Organizational Psychology
- Qualitative Research Interviews
- The Study of Work Practice
- Work Psychology: Human Work in Production and Systems Development from the Perspective of Socio-Psychological Conditions
SE-113 46 Stockholm
- Work: 046-08-801827
- Home: 046-08-801827
- Mobile: 0702965907